Fernando Hierro has decided to step down as Spain’s coach barely two weeks after the La Furia Roja were knocked out of the ongoing Russia 2018 FIFA World Cup by hosts, Russia.
Hierro said in a statement notifying the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) on Sunday that he would prefer to return to his former job as a sporting director.
The ex-international had been drafted as a replacement for Julen Lopetegui who was sacked two days to the kick off of the quadrennial football showpiece in June.
But after South Africa, 2010 champions could only pick two wins from four games against Portugal, Morocco and Iran in the preliminaries, and losing to Russia in a suspense-filled round of 16 clash, Hierro had decided he would best be suited for a sporting director role than as a manager.
Lopetegui who took over from Vicente del Bosque in 2015 had been forced out of the Spanish job after repots confirmed he had joined Real Madrid as a replacement for the departing Zinedine Zidane.
Hierro,50, says he has decided to “seek new horizons” even as the country’s football authorities will now be on the lookout for a new manager the second in a month.