Carlo Ancelotti has signed a three-year contract to replace Maurizio Sarri as Napoli’s head coach.
The 58-year-old former Chelsea, Real Madrid and Paris St Germain boss succeed Sarri at Stadio San Paolo, less than a week after the latter secured a second-placed finish behind Juventus in Serie A.
A statement published on Napoli’s official website on Wednesday evening said Ancelotti, who had been out of work since leaving Bayern Munich last September, would take charge for the next three campaigns.
“I’m really happy and honoured to be the coach of a team of such a unique city with incredible fans,” Ancelotti said in a tweet released on the club’s account.
Azzurri president Aurelio De Laurentiis had earlier thanked Sarri, 59, for his achievements in Naples.
He tweeted: “I thank Maurizio Sarri for his dedication to Napoli which has brought great prestige and joy to the city and the fans by creating a style of football which is admired everywhere and by everyone. Well done Maurizio.”
In his third season in charge, former Empoli manager Sarri delivered 91 points from league games, however that haul was not enough to deny Juve a seventh straight Scudetto.
It was the third campaign of improvement from the Azzurri under his management. Napoli were runners-up in 2015-16 and, although they placed third a year later, they reached the last 16 of the Champions League this term.
Juventus boss Massimiliano Allegri was among the first to welcome Ancelotti back to Italian football, tweeting: “Welcome back to Italy Mister Ancelotti! Serie A regains one of the excellence of our football.”