The Nigerian Football Federation (NFF) have come out to categorically pour cold water on rumours making the rounds that Super Eagles captain, John Obi Mikel, and his vice, Ogenyi Onazi are enmeshed in a bitter feud purportedly now tearing the team apart just days before the kick off of the Russia 2018 FIFA World Cup.
News of a rift between the Nigerian team’s leaders had spread like a wildfire in the harmattan in the past week, heightening concerns about the fate of the team arriving the World Cup a divided house.
Some reports(not from hotsportstv.com) had even suggested Onazi and Ahmed Musa were collaborating to undermine Mikel’s leadership.
And the rumours would refuse to go away even when Onazi came out on Thursday to deny the story, claiming it was a mere figment of the imagination of the team’s detractors.
” My relationship with our captain, Mikel remains as cordial as ever. Mikel and I grew up together in Jos, and have always enjoyed a friendship anchored on mutual respect,” Onazi had been at pains to explain.
But the NFF would finally lay the matter to rest on Saturday when it described the hoopla generated by the said quarrel as “fake news”.
— The NFF 🇳🇬 (@thenff) June 8, 2018
In a terse statement on its official Twitter handle, the NFF said, ” Avoid fake news. Eagles in training, captain Mikel and vice-captain, Onazi,”
The NFF would then go on to accompany the rebuttal with a short video of both players having a friendly banter after a training session at their expensive Avita Resort abode in Austria.
The Eagles will officially be jetting out of their Austrian training camp to the World Cup on Monday.