Embattled Portuguese soccer idol and Juventus star striker, Cristiano Ronaldo stated on Monday he has been of exemplary behaviour on and off the pitch amid the current allegations of rape made against the five-time Ballon d’Or Laurette by an ex-model Kathryn Mayorga in the United States.
Ronaldo said “I know I am an example, 100 per cent, in the pitch and outside the pitch,” while addressing a press conference ahead of his return to Manchester United, where he spent six years as a player, with Juventus in the Champions League.
A former American model Kathryn Mayorga, 34, of Las Vegas, had accused Ronaldo, of raping her on June 13, 2009, shortly before he joined Real Madrid from United.
He told his interviewers, “I am always smiling, I am a happy man, I’m blessed that I play in a fantastic club, I have a fantastic family, I have four kids, I am healthy,” added Ronaldo.
“I have everything. So the rest doesn’t interfere with me. I’m very, very well.”
The accusation hasn’t so far affected Ronaldo’s form on the field for his new club, who he joined from Madrid for 112 million euros ($128 million) in July.
Ronaldo has scored five goals in his last six Serie A appearances but has yet to open his account in the Champions League after being sent-off just 30 minutes into his European debut against Valencia.
“I’m not going to lie in this situation,” he added. “My lawyers are confident and of course I am, too.
“The most important (thing) is I enjoy the football, I enjoy my life.
“The rest, I have people who take care of my life. Of course, the truth is always coming in the first position. So, I’m good.”
(With reports from AFP)