Home Football Malatyaspor explain why they sacked Sunday Mba

Malatyaspor explain why they sacked Sunday Mba

Head coach of newly promoted Turkish Super League side, Ertugrul Saglam has revealed that the need for Yeni Malatyaspor to sign more quality players for a successful 2017 league campaign necessitated their decision to terminate the contract of former Super Eagles attacking midfielder Sunday Mba.

The decision to sack Mba alongside three other players was taken four days before the commencement of the new Turkish league season as they were deemed surplus to requirement.

Saglam said the former Warri Wolves midfielder and three other players have been directed to seek offers elsewhere as the club is determined to sign top quality players capable of helping the club rub shoulders with Turkish league heavyweights.

“I want to explain to you that when we first came to Malatya, after the signing, we saw that the players we were working with last year, and during the pre-season were far away from modernity and far from Super League standards. We had to let them leave,” Saglam said.

He promised that the club will continue to work in the Super League, where they will achieve great results for many years to come.

Mba played a total of 26 games last season, scoring just two goals raising questions about his readiness to fight for a place in the team as the club joined Turkish football elites.

The former Bastia FC midfielder came into limelight at the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations after scoring the winning goal in Nigeria’s 2–1 quarter final win over Côte d’Ivoire and scoring another winning goal in the final match against Burkina Faso to help the Super Eagles under late Stephen Keshi win their third Africa Cup of Nations title.

He last featured for Super Eagles in a FIFA 2010 World Cup qualifying match against Harambee Stars of Kenya in Nairobi.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here