World Boxing Council (WBC) president Mauricio Sulaiman has announced that the rematch between Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury has been put on hold and will not happen immediately.
Wilder and Fury fight in the December 2018 WBC bout, was adjudged draw by the judges and both management teams have extended the negotiation period.
WBC president according to Skysport on Tuesday Tweeted that the fight will no longer officially happen soon after he received confirmation from Fury who said he wants to look elsewhere.
He wrote, “Wilder vs Fury is officially not happening next.
“The WBC has received communications as our process and while Wilder confirmed its willingness to fight the rematch, Fury will take on another fight with expectations to do a rematch at a later date.”
Last week Fury signed a multi-year deal with US promoters Top Rank and said he was eager to finalise a second fight against Wilder.
“If I didn’t want to fight him, I wouldn’t have taken it in the first place,” said Fury.
“As far as I’m concerned, the fight is more make-able now than ever, because we have the biggest boys in the game behind us.”
Promoter Eddie Hearn said last week that unified heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua still wants a future fight with Wilder.
Joshua will make his US debut against Jarrell Miller at Madison Square Garden on June 1, live on Sky Sports Box Office.
“We hope that we go, Jarrell Miller, Deontay Wilder for the belt,” said Hearn.
“It’s not about Wilder or Fury, it’s just about that final belt. He stands one belt away from going down in a history as an undisputed heavyweight world champion.”