Maurizio Sarri’s perfect start at Chelsea, with his beautiful ‘sarriball’ style, might have earned admiration from Chelsea fans around the world.
But it’s not so with some players at the bridge as they see the Italian manager as an impending block to their success with the London Giants.
Since Antonio Conte was replaced with Sarri at the Stamford bridge, players like Ross Barkley, David Luiz, Morata, have witnessed an incredible change of fortune as they seem to be the backbone to the Italian manager’s plan at the London Club.
Known for his “tiki-taka” 4-3-3 style of play, Sarri seems to have ruled out the compatibility of some key players who enjoyed first-team football under Conte as he begins a totally different football philosophy at Chelsea.
Victor Moses, Andreas Christensen who were vital to Antonio Conte’s famous 3-4-3 formation have become alien to the first team football under coach Maurizio Sarri.
Although these players have threatened to leave the club, many Chelsea faithful seems unperturbed as the coach is delivering without them. Sarri, last weekend became the second Premier League manager after Nottingham Forrest’s Frank Clark to remain unbeaten in their first 11 league games.
“I’m very proud to be a coach of the team. The record isn’t the record of the coach. It’s the record of the team. I’m lucky, I have very good players”, said Sarri in his post-match conference after dumping Crystal Palace 3-1 on Sunday.
With Chelsea 16-games unbeaten record in all competitions so far, many players are still unhappy and might trigger some instability in the team as January transfer window itches close.
Here are five players who could leave Chelsea in January:
In an effort to improve his chance under the new Italian coach, Moses retired from international football with the Nigerian Nigerian National team, the Super Eagles shortly after the FIFA World Cup to concentrate more on club football. This gesture didn’t convince Sarri as he has declared Moses surplus to requirement and cannot fit into his style of play.
Moses, who reigned as a right wing-back under Antonio Conte remained out of favour in the new 4-3-3 style as he could neither compete with Cesar Azplicueta in right back or Willian in right forward. The 27-years old only start so far this season was in Chelsea’s 1-0 win over Liverpool in the third round of Carabao Cup.
“Moses is more suitable for playing wing-back than a winger or a full-back, I think. I don’t know [if they have a future at Chelsea]. They have to improve but their characteristics are a little bit different.” Coach Sarri said.
The Ex-Super Eagles star has consistently expressed his frustration due to lack of game time at the bridge and could look for a move away from the Stamford Bridge in January.
2. Andreas Christensen
The 22-year-old Dane who exceeded expectations under Antonio Conte a whopping 40 games in the 2017/2018 season has miraculously lost his place in central defence to an older David Luis, whose style of play suits the entertaining football style of Sarri.
The Chelsea academy product was an integral member of the Danish team at the 2018 FIFA World Cup and have since been playing the second fiddle to the Brazilian defender at the Stamford Bridge.
Christensen has not featured in any Premier League games this season, with Sarri opting to deploy him during Europa League and EFL cup games only.
The 22-year-old Dane, who joined Chelsea Academy in 2015 and rose to become a first team player might force a move out of the club if his playing time situation does not change anytime soon.
3. Danny Drinkwater
Drinkwater, since his 2017 deadline day transfer signing from Leicester City has struggled to keep up to pace at the London club. Suffering from one injury to the other in the last one year. Although the English midfielder seems determined to fight for a place at Chelsea, his chances are becoming slimmer by the day.
Drinkwater would have the biggest challenge on his hands as he would have to compete with rampaging Chelsea midfielders such as N’golo Kante, Kovacic, Jorginho, Cesc Fabregas, Ross Barkley, and Ruben Loftus-Cheek
The 28-year-old midfielder has not featured for Chelsea in any game this season and could be loaned out to lower clubs when the winter transfer window opens in January.
Well, it’s surprising that Willian made the list. The Brazilian forward is only short from Eden Hazard who has been sensational in front of goal so far this season. Chelsea in the summer had three bids of £55m rejected from Barcelona as they see him as an integral part of the squad.
Speculations are rife in Spain that Barcelona will return with another bid in January plus either Malcolm or Sergi Roberto to sweeten the deal in a desperate attempt to land the Chelsea winger.
Chelsea could be tempted to sell at the right price and even Willian could decide he wants to leave to for Camp Nou in January.
5. Ruben Loftus-Cheek
The English youngster is one of the most loved players by the Chelsea fans. Having developed from the Chelsea academy to the senior team, Loftus Cheek is one of the budding stars at the Bridge who could dazzle anytime he wishes.
Unfortunately, the 22-year-old midfielder has the likes of Jorginho, Barkley and Kovacic to compete against at the heart of midfield.
Loftus-Cheek has played six games for Chelsea so far this season. With the most interesting performance against Bate Borisov at the Europa League, where a scored his first hat-trick for Chelsea.
Loftus Cheek is being linked with a loan move to Crystal Palace, Fulham and even Everton. The 6.3ft tall star could as well make an important career decision in January in order to get a playing time.